• 200m dragonboat for both elementary and high school categories
• 500m dragonboat open
• 200m dragonboat parent challenge (at lunch hour – signup on site)
All participating clubs will have booths on site for registration for summer programs
Registration deadline May 25th.
The regatta will start at 10am to allow schools travelling from the Island to attend.
The 6th edition of the BC School Dragon Boat Championships will take place on June 1st at Burnaby Lake, hosted by the Burnaby Canoe and Kayak Club.
This regatta provides opportunity for new and experienced dragon boaters to test their paddling skills in a fun competition with other schools from within their community as well as with school groups from around BC. The 2011 regatta saw teams from the Fort Langley, Victoria, Pemberton and Vancouver join many Burnaby teams in competition for the Elementary and High School Dragon Boat Championship titles.
2006 BC Elementary School Dragon Boat Champions: Aubrey Elementary School
2006 BC High School Dragon Boat Champions: Burnaby North Secondary School
2007 BC Elementary School Dragon Boat Champions: Sherwood Park Elementary School
2007 BC High School Dragon Boat Champions: Pemberton Laoylam Eagles
2008 BC Elementary School Dragon Boat Champions: Aubrey Elementary School
2008 BC High School Dragon Boat Champions: Eric hamber Secondary School
2009 BC Elementary School Dragon Boat Champions: Sperling Elementary School
2009 BC High School Dragon Boat Champions: Eric hamber Eternal Dragons
2010 - cancelled due to lake dredging
2011 - BC Elementary School Dragon Boat Champions: Laoyam Falcons - Pemberton
2011 - BC Secondary School Dragon Boat Championships: Ridge Canoe and Kayak Club
• Limited number of teams can enter the regatta; entry on first come first serve basis
• Submit regatta registration form by Friday May 25th.
• BCKC will supply the steersperson for all boats in the 200m events; crews entering the 500m event are expected to have had previous race experience and may supply their own steersperson
• Teams may use their own stroke caller; drums will not be used.
• Schools are required to arrange their own teams; BCKC will assist if boats are short of a full 20-paddler crew.
• Teams will race 4 boats at a time against all teams within their division with points awarded based on finishing place. Accumulated points will determine qualification for the A or B and perhaps C final for each division. The BC School Dragon Boat Championship trophies are awarded to the A-final winners for each division.
•Entry fee is $100/crew